The Presbyterian Church of Taiwan is a part of the reformed Presbyterian churches. Its history can be traced back to the three Western medical missionaries in Taiwan, specifically Dr. James Maxwell from the from the Presbyterian Church of England in Southern Taiwan in 1865, Dr. George Leslie MacKay Presbyterian Church in Canada in Northern Taiwan in 1872, and Campbell Moody and David Landsborough from the Presbyterian Church of England in Changhua in 1896.
Dr. James L. Maxwell, M.A., M.D. (1836-1921), a missionary from the Presbyterian Church of England, was sent to Taiwan in 1865, and he selected Tainan to be the center of the English Presbyterian mission in Taiwan. He opened a clinic and church in Tainan (Kanxi St. Tingzaijiao) for medical missionary works. While working as a medical missionary, he gradually gave the people of Taiwan hope for new life, progress and prosperity. He also introduced the beliefs of Western civilization, initiated Taiwan’s science-based medicine, while introducing the general knowledge of world history, astronomy, geography, and mathematics. At the time, missionaries sent by the Presbyterian Church of England to Taiwan were all outstanding physicians, educators and scientists. They had founded Sin-Lau Hospital at their time in Tainan, and immediately began their medical missionary work. They then helped locals absorb Chinese and Western culture, scientific knowledge, teachings of the Bible, and spread the Gospel. They began establishing elementary schools at churches in various locations at around 1870, and decided to establish a Christian high school on March 15th, 1883.
The Presbyterian Church of England had formally selected Tainan to establish the first Western-style high school in Taiwan – Presbyterian Church High School, the predecessor of Chang Jung High School, on September 21st, 1885 (the 11th year of emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty). The first principal was Mr. George Ede, and 126 years have passed since then.
In 1954, Mr. Chen Ming-Ching, the second chairman of Chang Jung High School, visited Japan to observe development trends of its universities and studied the features of Christian universities. Afterwards, the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan resolved for 15 directors, including Chen Ming-Ching and Wu Chi-Fu, to form the first board of directors of Chang Jung College of Liberal Arts. However, The College was not established at the time, due to the Ministry of Education’s ban on establishing universities. The ban was still not lifted during the term of Mr. Hou Chuan-Cheng, the third chairman of Chang Jung High School (1963-1965), and he hoped to start from establishing a junior college, but the others didn’t support this proposal. Concrete plans were then proposed during the time of Mr. Wu Chi-Fu, the fourth chairman of Chang Jung High School (1965-1989), but they remained in draft due to legal restrictions.
In 1984, the ministry of education lifted the ban, as Mr. Huang Jen-Chun became the fifth chairman of Chang Jung High School. Together with Dr. Su Chin-An, principal of Chang Jung High School, and Ms. Liu Kui-Chih, chairman of Chang Jung Girls’ High School, they proposed to establish Chang Jung College of Engineering, in hope to extend the Church’s efforts and contribution to Taiwanese cultures, educations, and medical care
The application was officially submitted to the Ministry of Education in March 1988. The Ministry of Education approved the establishment of Chang Jung College of Engineering in June 1989. The board of directors was established in August and was approved for future references (Tai No.7842620). Mr. Kao Yu-Jen, chairman of the Chang Jung High School Alumni Association, was appointed the chairman of Chang Jung College of Engineering. The Foundation registration was completed on February 3rd, 1990 (Nan-Yuan-Min-Fa-Deng No.3781).
Chang Jung College of Engineering was changed to Chang Jung College of Management, this change was approved on November 16th, 1992 (Tai (81) Gao No. 62959). The registration of Chang Jung College of Management was approved on February 16th, 1993 (Nan-Yuan-Min-Fa-Deng No.9171). Professor Lin Pang-Chung was hired as the first president, and the colleges took part in the joint college entrance examination in 1993 with four available departments, namely information management, business administration, international business, and accounting; the college was approved to enroll 200 new students, setting a milestone for a Christian school in the developing history of Taiwan’s higher education.
In 1997, Professor Chien Chu-Nan, the second president, was committed to develop humanistic education and professional education for holistic education, particularly in the promotion of service and art education.
In 2000, Professor Hxiao Long-Sheng, the third president, suggested changing the Chang Jung College of Management to Chang Jung Christian University. He implemented holistic education, improved the teaching quality, strengthened the research atmosphere, expanded the outreach services, attentively develop the departments and actively reached out to further financial resources.
In 2001, the board of directors faced a financial crisis. It was promptly assisted by Dean Huang Zhao-Sheng of Changhua Christian Hospital. He purchased more than 20 hectares of land in the reserved area for NT$1 billion. In the following year, he had promised to provide financial support to the school, and help the development and promotion of changing the Changhua Christian Medical School to Chang Jung College of Management. This proposal was finally approved in the academic year of 2002 according to Tai (91) Gao (3) Zi Letter No. 91137638 of the Ministry of Education on October 1st, 2002.
In 2003, Dr. Chen, Chin-Seng, the fourth president, led the teachers and students of CJCU to a new era. At his time, the David Landsborough Memorial Library, Administration Building and the Student Activity Center were first established. On the other hand, he valued campus aesthetic and encouraged art works that were created by teachers and students. He also set out to make the university to be "the best private university in South Taiwan". He not only took this as a benchmark, but also as a promotion of growth in teaching and school affairs.
On September 6, 2007, there was a project named “Shalun, the Tainan branch line, of Taiwan railway”. At the end of the following year, the chairman, Yang Si-Hai, of CJCU attended the meeting about the Shalun railway, and issued the 40-meter avenue that belonged to CJCU for the purpose of connecting transportation road. As a gesture of gratitude, The Taiwan railway Administration named the station after the school, CJCU station. On January 2nd, 2011, the "CJCU Station" was officially launched. On December 23, 2011, CJCU participated in a meta-evaluation of university institutional evaluation of the Ministry of Education, and the process was completed in 2011, CJCU passed the evaluation
In 2013, Dr. Lee Yung-Lung, the seventh president, launched administrative affairs in five areas including profits increases, cost structure control, organizational improvement, strategic investment and location value. He dedicated himself to provide professional teaching, abundant book resources, and cozy accommodation. For the spirit of - comprehensive education, he not only encouraged community activities, expanded international exchanges, but also provided students high-quality education with industry-academia cooperation. He led CJCU onto the goal of becoming the best private universities in Southern Taiwan and one of the best Christian Universities in the world.
Based on the spirit of Jesus Christ, CJCU uphold "Loving God, Loving people, Treasuring resources, Initiating actions” as core value on devoting to practice the university social responsibility and cultivating erudite potentials. To complete these missions. The International Jane Goodall's Roots & Shoots Eco-Center was established in 2014. It became leaders in the local communities and beyond one of the leading local and further communities. In 2016, it was recognized by the Environmental Protection Administration and was awarded the “4th National Environmental Education Award”. CJCU is an eco-friendly, waterfront university
Through the implementation of local creative activities, CJCU does not only promote international exchange, but also connect with other universities that contribute to roots and shoots, and increases the conservation of environment and international mobility of students and residents. Then, The Yunus Social Business Center was established in 2017. It is the first social business center in Southern Taiwan and the second in the entire country, named after Dr. Muhammad Yunus, who was also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate. While improving the plight of the poor Dr. Yunus’ attempts and practices have been getting widespread attention and responses all over the world. In order for students to develop international mobility and vision, CJCU have developed official connections with many universities in various before the government implement The New Southbound Policy, such as Hong Kong, Macao, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand and other countries. CJCU has also signed a partnership with other universities, and has a Joint Dual-degree with Queensland University of Technology. This program is provided for those who seek international education experiences.
Under the leadership of the board of directors and president, all faculty members and students have worked together on each preparation from establishment to renaming, enthusiastically running the school, establishing systems and creating many features. Now, CJCU has colleges, namely College of Management, College of Health Sciences, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Information and Design, School of Theology, College of Continuing Education, International College of Practice and Education for the Environment, School of Safety and Health SciencesandCollege of Fine Arts; in total there are 58 bachelors programs, 15 masters programs, and 1 doctoral program. Throughout the 28 years since CJCU was founded, the number of students has grown from 134 to over 10,000.
All the members of CJCU could collectively identify with the founding principles, and respond to the holy calling to carry on past heritage and open up to the future, striving to cultivate elite talent for higher education, so as and to achieve the vision and mission of CJCU. With regards to educational goals, CJCU aims to establish a campus with freedom, democracy, diversity, and an open academic atmosphere; to unveil paths for lifelong learning; to cultivate outstanding youth with critical thinking, adaptability for innovation, excellent leadership, forward-looking and broad perspectives, in hopes that they will become highly qualified intellectuals and modern citizens who have universal love, righteousness, to be of service and dedication. This is the ideal and glory of “holistic education” that CJCU strives to achieve, and we believe that it is the reward achieved under the nourishment provided by the Gospel.